The ridiculing of God’s messengers is nothing new. It can be seen during the time of Prophet Muhammad and the messengers before him.
For instance, the Old Testament, book of Chronicles 2 states, ”The Lord, the God of their fathers, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place; But they mocked God’s messengers, despised his words and scoffed at His prophets until the wrath of the Lord was aroused against his people and there was no remedy (1)”.
A similar phrase is observed in the New Testament, “And the men that held Jesus mocked him, and smote him. And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee? And many other things blasphemously spake they against him (2)”.
The Quran also points to experiences of the previous Prophets and their challenges with ignorant people in several verses in order to comfort Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) and the believers for the difficulties they faced. For example, it says,” And certainly We sent Messengers among the first nations; however, (the people were so obstinate that) there never came a Messenger to them but (that) they mocked him (3)”.
Despite the mocking and ridiculing of God’s messengers, God continues to send His guidance to the disbelievers so that the argument becomes complete on them, and they would not have any excuses left in the end. As such, the Quran says,” Thus do We make it (verses of the Quran) to enter into the hearts of the guilty; however, (despite all the preaching, emphasis, logical proofs, and miracles) they (fanatic mockers) do not believe in it, and indeed the example of the former people has already passed (they were such too) (4)”.
A selection of “Tafsir Nemooneh”, by Ayatullah Makarim Shirazi, with some changes and additions
1- The Old Testament, 2 Chronicles 36:15-16
2- The New Testament, Luke 22:63 – 65
3- The Quran (15, 10-11)
4- The Quran (15, 12-13)
- The Sun in BloodAnd then Hussain (PBUH) called upon the enemies to fight him and said,” Martyrdom is better than […]
- The Spring of the QuranAnd the Messenger will say, ”O my Lord! Surely my people have treated this Quran as a forsaken […]
- The Description of the MourningThe Ziarat Nahie Moqaddase is one of the most well-known Ziarats of Imam Hossein (PBUH) which is […]
- Words of WisdomWe all need to be preached. Every society requires preaching and reminders. Preaching […]
- Crying, the Depth of LoveWhen Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) informed Lady Fatimah (PBUH) about the martyrdom of Imam […]