Haven of Angels
According to history and the Ahadith narrated from the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT), all the Shia Imams’ (PBUT) lives ended in martyrdom (1). Based on this, and considering the fact that the Holy Quran states that the martyrs are alive and prohibits Muslims from reckoning them as dead, it is concluded that our Imams (PBUT) are always alive, and even after their martyrdom, their attention towards this world is not reduced.
That is why Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HP) stated that visiting him during his life and after his death were identical, and mentioned the same in regards to the Imams (PBUT) (3).
Based on these teachings, it is evident that visiting the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT) after their martyrdom has numerous effects and blessings. For instance, the Imams (PBUT) understand our sayings and respond to the needs of their visitors. (4) Moreover, such a visit is constructive and educational for the visitor (pilgrim), and offers him/her enormous rewards.
Nevertheless, visiting Imam Hussain (PBUH) in Karbala has been emphasized more than any other of the Imams (PBUT). The outstanding point about visiting Imam Hussain (PBUH) is the enormous and astonishing rewards for it, as described in the Hadiths narrated from the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT). What is the reason for this?
If we look carefully, we realize that Imam Hussain (PBUH) gave everything he had in the way of Allah (SWT), and by this means, he revived Islam and guaranteed its permanence. As such, the religion of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HP) was preserved by Imam Hussain (PBUH), as he has stated himself, “If the firmness and perseverance of my grandfather’s religion requires my death, then embrace me O swords! (5)”
On this basis, the tone and wording of the Ahadith related to visiting Imam Hussain (PBUH) indicate an amazing glory, and are filled with emphasis. For example, once Imam Sadiq (PBUH) asked one of the Shiites named “Sudair”:
-Do you visit Hussain (PBUH) everyday?
-What an oppressor you are! Do you do it every Friday?
-What about every month?
-What about every year?
Then, the Imam (PBUH) said,
-O Sudair! What an oppressor you are to Hussain (PBUH)! O Sudair! Knowing that thousands of crying and dusty angels visit Hussain (PBUH) everyday and do not get tired of it! Why do you not visit him five times a week or once a day?
Sudair replied, “May I sacrifice my life for you! There is a lot of distance between us.”
At this moment, Imam Sadiq (PBUH) said, “Go on top of your roof and say “Peace be upon you O Aba Abdillah! Peace be upon you and the mercy and blessings of Allah (SWT)”. This act of yours is considered as a visit, and you will get the reward of doing Hajj and Umrah (6).”
Nonetheless, throughout history, the oppressive rulers and their ignorant followers have intended to eradicate and eliminate a belief, school of thought, or religion when they fail to oppose and combat it.
The shrine of Imam Hussain (PBUH) in Karbala has witnessed such extravagances and misconceptions several times, which continue to happen today. The oppressive and ignorant people intend to eliminate Imam Hussain (PBUH) from the memories of people by restraining them, preventing them from visiting Imam Hussain (PBUH), applying various pressures, and even destroying the holy shrine of Imam Hussain (PBUH); however, although the shrine of Imam Hussain (PBUH) has been disrespected and destroyed on several occasions,(7) the Shiites have always paid special attention to visiting of Imam Hussain (PBUH), since the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT) have advised them to do so.
Indeed, do these people think that they can extract the love of Imam Hussain (PBUH) from the hearts of his lovers by treating them harshly? Is it possible to take away the people’s belief and faith in the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT) by destroying their shrines?
So what are they intending to do?…
(Selection taken from “Karbala, the Ka’ba of Hearts”, by Hujjat al-Islam Jawad Muhaddithi (with some changes))
The Roshd Website congratulates all Muslims, especially you dear friend, upon the 3rd of Sha’ban, the birthday anniversary of the master of the youth of Paradise, the deposit of the Messenger of Allah (PBUH&HP),
Imam Hussain ibn Ali (PBUH).
1. Imam Reza (PBUH) has said,”There is no one amongst us that has not been killed or won’t be killed ” (Wasail al-Shia, vol. 4, p. 568)
2. “And reckon not those who are slain in Allah’s way as dead; nay, they are alive (and) are provided sustenance from their Lord.” The Holy Quran, (3:169)
3. Mustadrak al-Wasail, vol. 10, p. 182
4. Based on the entrance permission we recite when entering the shrines of the Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT), they see us, hear our voices, and reply to us; however, our perception of their response depends on our capability and capacity.
5. Al-Sahih min al-Sirah, vol. 3, p. 112
6. Usul al-Kafi, vol. 4, p. 598- Man La Yahduruhu al-Faqih, vol. 2, p. 599 (with some differences in wording)
7. For example, at the time of Harun or Mutawakkil, the shrine of Imam Hussain (PBUH) was destroyed 17 times. For further information, please refer to the chapter of “The oppression of rulers against his holy shrine” from Bihar al-Anwar, vol. 45, p. 390.
- Consolidator of Emulation Sources“O My Master! I don’t have the opportunity to be in your presence all the time. So whom […]
- Ali, a Different View?He has been hard, shattering, roaring like thunder during woe nights. The fountain is a fountain, […]
- A Solid BeliefIt has been narrated by Muhammad ibn Abdullah al-Khurasani, a servant of Imam Reza (PBUH), that one […]
- Four Month of Exemption, Four Month of BlessingThe Muslims conquered Mecca in 8 A.H. (after the migration of Prophet Mohammad PBUH&HP from […]
- A Two-Way RelationshipImam Sadiq (PBUH) was just martyred; however, due to the political situation at the time and fear […]
Leave a Reply