Absorbed in Worship of the Beloved
Imam Hassan al-Askari (PBUH) was born in Medina in the year 232 A.H. Like the other Imams, Imam Hassan (PBUH) lived during the oppression and chaos of the tyrants of his time. His life was under watch by the cruel Abbasid Caliph who would send his men to torture and spy on Imam Hassan’s (PBUH) daily activities.
When Mu’tazz the Abbasid caliph came to power, he put the Imam under tremendous pressure. He would send the Imam to prison several times to be watched over by Salih ibn Wasif, the prison officer. Salih who was of the enemies of Ahl al-Bayt (PBUT) would then take advantage of the situation and bring in men famous for their crimes to torture the Imam.
Sheikh Mufid narrates, “When Abu Muhammad, Imam Hassan al-Askari (PBUH) was imprisoned, some men from the Abbasids came to Salih ibn Wasif and said, ‘Be hard on him [the Imam (PBUH)] and do whatever it takes to make the circumstances tough on him’!
In reply Salih ibn Wasif said, ‘I had appointed two of the worst and ill-natured men upon him, however they too have now repented and have become pious men who say prayer and fast.’
Then the Abbasid men asked to see those two men and after threatening them, they asked why they do not torture the Imam. The two men said, ‘What shall we say about a man who fasts during the days and worships the whole night? He does not talk to anyone and does not do anything other than worship. Whenever we look at him, our bodies begin to shake and it reaches a point that we feel we are not in charge of our souls anymore!’
When the Abbasid men heard what the two men said, they returned disgracefully.”
(Selection taken from “al-Irshad” by Sheikh Mufid, vol.2, p.334)
Dear friend, please accept our congratulations on the eighth of Rabi al-Thani, the birthday of the heir to the prophets, and the leader of the pious: Imam Hassan ibn Ali al-Askari (PBUH).
- A Divine LeaderAfter the martyrdom of Imam Reza (PBUH) in the province of Khorasan by the Abbasid Caliph, the […]
- Standing Against DeviationThe social-political life of the Imams (PBUT) is exemplary in the way of feeling responsibility for […]
- Message of SalvationO Lord! Whom do I need when I have You, and how beautiful is having hope in You and being […]
- The Gem of SilenceTalkativeness has numerous unpleasant consequences in which can be observed in the daily lifestyle. […]
- The Prophetic ForbearanceHistory reveals that ‘Abdullah Ibn Salaam was Jewish before he embraced Islam in the time of […]
Leave a Reply