No one anticipated that one day their friendship might break, and the two friends, who were usually together, separate. People knew one of them as the friend of the other, rather than knowing him by his own name. Usually when they wanted to name him, his own name was not mentioned, and they called him “the friend of Imam Sadigh (PBUH)”.
One day they were together and they entered the shoemakers’ market. His black servant was with him too, and was walking behind them. In the middle of the market the friend of Imam Sadiq (PBUH) turned around, but did not see the servant. After taking a few steps, he once again turned around, but didn’t see the servant. For the third time he turned around; the servant was amused with the market and was not there.
For the fourth time, he turned around and saw him; he then swore at his mother angrily, and asked: “where have you been?”
After hearing this word, Imam Sadigh (PBUH) hit his forehead out of surprise, and said: “Subhan Allah! Did you swear at his mother? Do you accuse his mother of wrong actions? So far, I thought that you are a pious person. Now it is evident that there is no piety and apprehension in you.”
The man said hurriedly: “O son of the Prophet of God! This servant and his mother are both from the city of Sindh. You know that the people from Sindh are not Muslims. His mother was not a Muslim either.”
Imam Sadigh (PBUH) said: “it doesn’t matter whether his mother had been a Muslim or not. Every tribe has a tradition and law for marriage. If they observe their tradition and law their children would be legitimate.”
After saying this, Imam (PBUH) said: “Now, leave me…”
After this event, no one saw him with Imam (PBUH) anymore; until death separated them. (1)
But why really did Imam Sadigh (PBUH) ended his friendship with this man? The answer can be found in one of the sayings of Imam (PBUH):
“One of the definite signs of the partaker of the Satan is using of bad language and not caring what one says and hears.”(2)
Therefore the person who uses bad language has accepted the friendship of the Satan, and friendship with this person is not suitable for a faithful person.
Let us be careful not become the friend of Satan…
(The above is a selection taken from “The Narrative of Veracious”, by the Martyr Scholar Murtada Mutahhari (with some additions))
The Roshd Website congratulates all the monotheists of the world, especially you dear friend, upon the birthday anniversary of the treasurer of knowledge and the sixth Imam of Shiites, Imam Ja’far Sadiq (PBUH).
1. Usul al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 324 – Wasa’il al-Shia, vol. 2, p. 477
2. Usul al-Kafi, vol. 2, p. 323
- Let us be Conscious“When the fifth son of the seventh Imam goes in occultation, seek refuge in Allah (SWT)! Seek […]
- How was He Like?The martyrdom of Amir al-Mu’minin (PBUH) is far from our understanding unless we know more about […]
- A Letter from a Father to a SonFrom: A father who is getting old To: A son who is subject to passage of time … O My son! […]
- “Let Us Walk in Her Footsteps…“A role model can be defined as a guide, pattern, and as a leader. The term “role model” seeks […]
- A Fascinating Role ModelThe life of Amir al-Mu’menin (PBUH) is so appealing that it brings about feelings of either utmost […]
Leave a Reply